Food with Mold Should Be Immediately Thrown to the Trash?

Foods with mold seem is generally in a deteriorated condition to the surface (and not only), with a different texture and stain greenish or white. You know everything.

Food with Mold Should Be Immediately Thrown to the Trash

The foods with mold have a taste and texture unpleasant and can have spots plush green or white.

The presence of mold is one of the main causes of deterioration of food and only their appearance can be displeasing to most people.

While some types of mold can produce toxins that are harmful to health, others are used to produce certain foods, as is the case of some types of cheeses.

In this article we will explain what are the foods should be thrown to the garbage in the presence of these spots all pleasant, and when is that the presence of mold is not necessarily negative.

WHAT IS THE MOLD?

Mold is a type of fungus with a texture, fluffy and dusty, it is usually visible to the human eye, which develops in decaying organic matter.

Mold produces spores that give color, typically green, white, black, or grey. The appearance of the food is modified, as well as its taste.

Even though the mold is only visible on the surface, its roots may be in the interior of the food. Mold needs organic matter humid and hot to grow, so the food is often the perfect environment.

WHICH FOODS CAN BE CONTAMINATED BY FUNGI?

Molds can grow on almost all foods, although some types of food are more prone to growth than others.

The fresh food with high water content are particularly vulnerable. On the other hand, the preservatives decrease the likelihood of mold growth, as well as the growth of micro-organisms.

The mould grows not only in the foods present in the home. Can develop during the process of food production, including during cultivation, harvesting, storage or processing.

FOODS MOST LIKELY TO WIN THE MOLD

Among the foods that the yeast most like to develop are:

  • Fruit, including: strawberries, oranges, grapes, apples and raspberries;
  • Vegetables, including: tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower and carrot;
  • Bread: especially when it does not contain preservatives;
  • Cheese: varieties soft and hard.

Although it is not their food of choice, the mildew can also grow on food, including meat, dry fruits, milk and processed foods.

Most moulds need oxygen to live, and that is why we do not develop where oxygen is limited. However, they can grow easily in foods that have been packed in hermetically sealed tins once opened.

3 FOOD WITH MOLD THAT YOU CAN EAT

1. HARD CHEESES

Both the cheeses that are produced with the aid of fungi (such as roquefort, gorgonzola and camembert) as the ripened cheeses (such as parmesan) can develop a layer of mold. In the case of ripened cheeses, just remove the layer of mold visible and you can eat the rest.

As these cheeses are hard, the fungi hardly manage to reach an area inside of the food.

2. SALAMI AND HAM CURED DRY

These foods can win mold, but since that is just on the surface, you can eat in the same.

There are salamis that are produced using fungi to enhance the flavor, leaving you with a white skin that can be removed before eating.

In the case of the ham it is customary to form a layer on the surface. To remove it, it should be cut 2.5 cm around and below the mold.

3. FRUIT AND VEGETABLE FIRM

Fruits and vegetables are hard, such as cabbage, bell pepper, carrot, apple, may display small patches of mold. But these stains can be removed by cutting about 2.5 cm around the mould.

These foods do not have to go immediately to the trash, because their low moisture content does not leave easily enter the fungus to the interior.

FOOD WITH MOLD THAT MUST LIE IN THE GARBAGE

Foods with a high moisture content can be contaminated below the surface, and in addition, may also have bacteria growing along with the fungi.

The food presented here fit on these premises:

  • Fruits and vegetables are soft, such as strawberries, cucumbers, and tomatoes;
  • Cheeses soft, such as cottage and cream cheese, as well as the cheese shredded and sliced;
  • Yogurt and cream;
  • Bread and bakery products;
  • Cooked food, including meat, pasta and grains;
  • Jellies and jams;
  • Peanut butter, legumes , and dried fruits;
  • Processed meats, bacon and sausages.

 

HOW TO AVOID THE DEVELOPMENT OF MILDEW?

There are several ways to prevent the food are deteriorated due to the growth of fungi.

Keep food storage areas clean is essential, as the spores of the foods with mold can accumulate in the common spaces of storage.

Here are some tips to avoid the growth of fungi in food:

  • Clean the refrigerator regularly;
  • Keep your cleaning materials clean (kitchen cloths, sponges and other utensils);
  • Do not leave the products they rot. The fresh foods have a limited useful life, so you should buy small quantities at a time;
  • Keep perishable foods under refrigeration;
  • Keep the storage containers clean and well closed;
  • Do not leave food leftovers more than 3 days in the refrigerator;
  • Freeze for long term storage, if you don’t want to eat the food soon.

 

IN SHORT…

What most people do, is lie in food with mold to the garbage. But not always if you should lie just to the food to the garbage. It is easier to remove the mildew in food hard, as is the case of some types of cheese or ham. Generally, the food is hard or dense, are not easily penetrated by mold.

In regards to foods and soft with high moisture content, these must be discarded, since it can also have harmful bacteria to grow along with the fungi.

So, the answer to the question posed in the title is: depends on the food, as we have seen throughout this article.